From the sublime to the ridiculous

Last updated : 11 April 2021 By C. Morris

Owls fail to back up Cardiff win as they capitulate at QPR

Sheffield Wednesday produced a stunning display to put five past Cardiff on Easter Monday and give their fans faint hope of an unlikely Championship survival bid but that performance seemed a distant memory as the Owls fell apart at QPR yesterday.

It was no surprise to see Wednesday go with an unchanged side as Jamie Smith continued to lead the team from the side lines with Darren Moore in touch remotely as he continues a period of COVID isolation.

QPR had much of the early possession and took the lead on 27 minutes with a goal that should have been avoidable from the Owls perspective. Barbet was allowed space to cross but was 40 yards from goal when he whipped in a ball that found Dykes just inside the penalty area. The Scotland international produced a well placed header that found the corner of the net. The striker drifted free off the back of Lees all too easily and Wildsmith seemed somewhat flat-footed as he failed to get to the long-range header.

To their credit the Owls responded well and were level within 3 minutes. Bannan chipped a ball down the left for Reach, he cut inside and picked out Windass who took one touch to control before firing a strike into the bottom corner, giving the keeper no chance.

Wednesday were growing in confidence and Windass hit another low drive that Dieng was equal to just before half-time. Within 5 minutes of the restart however, the Owls fell behind in disappointing fashion. Johansen worked space for a shot from the edge of the penalty area which took a slight deflection of the head of Urhoghide. The ball changed deflection slightly but wasn’t travelling at great pace but it was enough to deceive Wildsmith who will surly be disappointed at his failed attempt to keep the ball out.

The visitors again responded well and another move down their left created a chance for Paterson but his shot was off target and on the hour the home side increased their lead. Willock some beat Urhoghide to a header inside the 6-yard box and picked out Dykes who was free to place a header past Wildsmith from close range.

The Owls continued to look a threat in possession and were denied a penalty when Windass fired across goal for Kachunga and the substitute put a header on target which was deflected wide by the hand of Kakay but this was missed by the officials who only awarded a corner.

In injury time QPR added insult to injury when Lees was beaten to a header near halfway, Thomas ran clear and squared for Willock to beat Wildsmith.

The margin of defeat was somewhat harsh given that Wednesday created plenty of attacking promise, particularly through Bannan, but they were wasteful in the final third and were woeful at the back. They remain 7 points from Championship safety with just 6 games to go. Next up is a home game against Swansea City on Tuesday evening.