Owls blow 2-goal lead in the capital

Last updated : 16 October 2021 By C. Morris

Wednesday pegged back by Wimbledon

Sheffield Wednesday missed a great opportunity to climb into the top 6 in League One on Saturday as AFC Wimbledon came from two goals down to grab a point in London.

Wednesday started on the back foot but managed to take the lead somewhat against the run of play on 13 minutes thanks to a neat move and a fine finish. Bannan slid a pass into Gregory on the edge of the penalty area and the striker cut inside before firing a low strike into the bottom corner of the Wimbledon net.

Having got in front, the visitors began to assert themselves on the game, Paterson saw a shot saved by home keeper Tzanev while Dele-Bashiru and Wing struck efforts off target.

Wednesday doubled their lead on 61 minutes when Bannan found Hunt and his cross was destined to find Wing at close range when the midfielder was shoved in the back. The referee pointed to the spot and Gregory sent Tzanev the wrong way to make it 2-0 in front of the travelling support.

There seemed little threat of any recovery from the home side at that point and Dele Bashiru and Wing both spurned very good chances to put the game out of sight. It transpired that those misses would prove costly. On 67 minutes Guinness-Walker halved the arrears, firing past Wildsmith after the Owls keeper had saved Pressley’s shot on goal.

Tzanev saved well to deny Gregory a hat-trick and Pressley forced a save from Wildsmith as the game opened up and with 5 minutes to go the home side made it 2-2. Guiness-Walker was afforded time and space to produce a cross to the back post where Rudoni beat Wildsmith from close range after beating Brown to the ball.

There was still time for Dunkley to be denied by a goal line clearance late on but it ended level and while for Wimbledon it will certainly be seen as a point gained the Owls can ill-afford to allow leads like that slip if they are to maintain a promotion challenge.

Next up for Darren Moore’s side is a trip to Cambridge United on Tuesday.