Rock bottom Wednesday beaten again

Last updated : 13 December 2020 By Chris Morris
Barnsley take the points away from Hillsborough
Sheffield Wednesday suffered their second Yorkshire derby defeat in the space of a week and their 3rd loss in succession on Saturday as Barnsley ran out 2-1 winners at Hillsborough.
Having been beaten at Huddersfield in midweek Tony Pulis made one change to his starting 11. Midfielder Massimo Luongo looked short of fitness against the Terriers and failed to make the squad for the clash with the Tykes but defender Chey Dunkley was a surprise inclusion, making his first appearance for the club since his summer move from Wigan Athletic and his first appearance since breaking his lef in February. 
The afternoon started well for Wednesday, inside 5 minutes Bannan played a lobbed through ball into the path of Windass and he beat the onrushing Tykes keeper Jack Walton to the ball before tapping into the empty goal.
Wednesday have picked up less points than any other team in the Championship from winning positions this season though and they could only hold this lead for a matter of 10 minutes. Despite having 2 players guarding the front post, the Owls were beaten to the ball from a corner with the flick-on rebounding off Wildmith who couldn't react and Woodrow took the opportunity to score from close range.
Having got back into the game the visitors started to apply more pressure on their clearly fragile hosts and on 38 minutes they took the lead when a slick passing move with Chaplin at the heart of it opened up the Owls, allowing Freiser to go through on goal and beat Wildsmith to the ball to score.
Pulis' response at half-time was to bring on Pelupessy for Van Aken, move Iorfa into the back line from midfield and push Harris further forward. 
The Owls did start the second half on the front foot, Harris broke on goal and forced Walton to tip his low drive round the post and Windass fired a powerful strike straight at the Tykes keeper within the first 10 minutes.
The home side probably knew it wasn't going to be their day when a fine strike from Pelupessy was tipped onto the crossbar by Walton with the ball hitting the keeper on the way out and rebounding onto the post before going out of play. 
Wednesday continued to huff and puff in the closing stages but could not find a way through with the defeat leaving them  bottom of the Championship table ahead of a trip to fellow strugglers Nottingham Forest on Tuesday evening.