Shambolic first half costs Owls dear

Last updated : 29 February 2020 By Chris Morris
Wednesday well beaten by Derby
Sheffield Wednesday suffered another home defeat on Saturday as Derby County eased to a 3-1 victory at Hillsborough.
Wednesday came into the game on the back of a 1-0 midweek win against Charlton but any confidence taken from that result was quickly eradicated. The visitors took the lead on 6 minutes when a Tom Lawrence strike from the edge of the penalty area took a big deflection off Borner to leave Dawson wrong-footed as it flew into the goal.
The Wednesday keeper did well to divert another Lawrence effort round the post before the same player doubled his tally midway through the first half, latching onto a pass from Chris Martin to curl into the bottom corner after Wednesday had gifted the Rams possession.
It was 3-0 on the half-hour as Jason Knight beat Dawson after the home side had once again given the ball away far too cheaply. Wednesday failed to get close enough to Derby throughout the half and the visitors were very comfortable as Garry Monk's side failed to pose any real threat.
Wickham replaced an out of sorts Harris before half-time and at the break Windass and Iorfa came on for Fletcher and Lees. Fletcher appeared to be carrying a knock and Lees had a woeful 45 minutes. 
The Owls improved in the second half although in truth it would have been difficult not to offer more than they had done in the first half. Murphy was lively down the right but his final ball wasn't always on the money and he fired two decent chances off target. 
Windass was the pick of the Wednesday players, offering good movement and forward passes and he got his second goal of his loan spell with 15 minutes to go, converting a Murphy cross from close range. 
The goal didn't really look like prompting a fightback and Derby eased to the 3 points in the closing stages. Wednesday remain in 12th place in the Championship with 10 games to go and face Manchester City in the FA Cup at Hillsborough on Wednesday evening.