Woeful Wednesday slip to 4th league defeat in 5

Last updated : 29 January 2020 By Chris Morris
2nd half shambles at the DW Stadium
Sheffield Wednesday let a half-time lead slip at the DW Stadium on Tuesday evening as Wigan Athletic scored a late goal to win 2-1.
Wednesday went into the game having won 3 straight away matches but two of those had come in the FA Cup and the Owls have also lost 3 in succession at home recently.
Garry Monk's side were not at their best in the 1st half but didn't need to be to gain the upper hand and deservedly held a 1-0 lead at the break. Bannan released Fox down the left-hand side and his fine cross was met by a good header from Murphy  who had squandered an easier chance moments earlier.
Wigan came into the game in poor form and there was little sign during the first 45 minutes of that changing. Wednesday lost Fox to injury early in the second half and they also lost their way completely. Within 10 minutes of the restart a deep low ball into the penalty area found Moore in acres of space and when Borner did get close to the former Barnsley striker, Moore shrugged him off with ease and tucked the ball past Dawson.
The Owls failed to wake from their slumber and were fortunate that their hosts were wasted plenty of opportunities to punish them. However, just as it looked as though Monk's men would escape with a scrappy point they were punished in the last minute.
Wigan put a hopeful ball up towards the edge of the penalty area which found Borner and Lees flat-footed as Moore headed into the box and Lowe was able to loop a header into the net over Dawson who found himself in a poor position.
Wednesday were able to fashion a chance in injury time but Rhodes tame header was easily saved at the near post.
Not for the first time in recent games, Wednesday struggled to string many passes together with any fluidity, certainly in the 2nd half. They offered very little in the way of an attacking threat and couldn't offer a positive response once Wigan had got back into the game.