Sheff Wed 0-0 Bristol City - 18-Nov-2017 : Match Report

18 November 2017
Frustrating afternoon at Hillsborough

Sheffield Wednesday and Bristol City were made to settle for a point apiece at Hillsborough as they drew 0-0.

The sides struggled to break each other down in a frustrating contest as few real opportunities were created.

The game's first chance went Sheffield Wednesday's way as Morgan Fox found space on the left to deliver a cross, which was headed over by Jordan Rhodes in the game's opening minute.

That could have signalled a lively first half, but it was anything but with both sides lacking intensity.

Aden Flint had Bristol City's first opportunity, hitting a shot wide from inside the area.

Ross Wallace was the man who provided the impetus for the hosts on the right-hand side, but he wasted two chances in quick succession in the opening quarter. He first powered an effort wide after cutting inside, before spurning another, skewing the ball off target.

Rhodes then saw another opportunity go begging. Barry Bannan clipped the ball into Gary Hooper who nodded the ball into the path of Rhodes but he headed over.

Wednesday had the majority of the opportunities in the opening 45 but it was Bristol City who should have gone into the break ahead.

On 35 minutes, Callum O'Dowda provided a cross from the right for the Robins which found Bobby Reid open in the box. However, his header was tame and straight at Kieren Westwood in the Owls goal.

The second half meanwhile offered more of the same as the Robins looked the more likely of the two teams to come away with the win.

On the hour-mark, Josh Brownhill was able to gather the ball on the left before cutting inside and firing an effort wide of the far post.

Brownhill then turned provider, as he set substitute Milan Djuric free through the centre. He was able to bear down on goal only to see his shot stopped by Westwood. The Owls failed to clear however and the ball eventually ended up on the boot of Flint but his acrobatic effort bounced wide.

As for Wednesday, they were starved of clear-cut chances. Adam Reach had a speculative effort from range blocked by Nathan Baker before Rhodes headed wide from Jacob Butterfield's corner with 68 minutes played.

Substitute Steven Fletcher then saw a late effort blocked by Baker.

However, they were potentially denied a late penalty. Bannan exchanged passes well before going down under a challenge inside the box but referee Tony Harrington waved away the protests.

Ultimately the points were shared as the result kept Bristol City in the play-offs but left Wednesday just outside the top seven.