Championship clubs taking their own approach

Last updated : 23 April 2020 By Chris Morris
Collective agreement proves difficult
 
Football clubs in the EFL Championship, including Sheffield Wednesday, took the decision earlier this month to conduct talks with the PFA on a club-by-club basis in relation to player wages during the continuing COVID-19 pandemic.
 
It had initially been hoped that a collective agreement could be reached between the 24 clubs but following detailed discussions it became clear that this would be difficult given the significant difference in wage payments at some clubs in the division.
 
The Owls have previously announced that some non-playing staff have been furloughed in line with the governments Job Retention Scheme. Under this scheme employees who are not able to do their job due to COVID-19 are retained by their employer with the government funding 80% of their wages to a maximum of £2,500 per month. The Owls are paying the remaining 20% of wages to their employees who have been placed on this scheme. No formal decision has been announced regarding the player wages at Hillsborough.