Wednesday end the decade with disappointing defeat

Last updated : 31 December 2019 By Chris Morris
Cardiff win at Hillsborough
2019 was brought to a close in disappointing fashion for Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday when they fell to a home defeat at the hands of Cardiff City.
Having conceded two goals in injury time to lose 3-2 at Stoke on Boxing Day the Owls gave away more gifts early on against the side from the Welsh capital and found themselves two goals down inside ten minutes, meaning Garry Monk's side had conceded four goals in around 15 minutes of football.
The Owls actually started the game well but were rocked back when Cardiff scored from their first attack. A needless foul near the touchline by Iorfa gave the visitors a free-kick which they took quickly, finding Glatzel in the penalty area. Palmer and Lees failed to stop the City striker and he scored with a low shot under Dawson. Just 3 minutes later Tomlin got free on the Owls left and his low cross picked out Hoilett who had the freedom of the penalty area and made no mistake with a crisp low first-time finish.
The Owls were clearly struggling defensively but continued to look a threat when they had the ball, Winnall saw a shot blocked from close range and Bannan saw his strike that was destined for the top corner tipped over the bar. The home side were able to halve the arrears inside the 20-minute mark when a Bannan corner found Lees at the far post and he met the ball to scorer with a downward header that gave Cardiff keeper Etheridge no chance.
Another set piece saw opportunities spurned by both Lees and Iorfa as Cardiff managed to clear and Wednesday went in a goal down at the break. 
Wednesday were on the front foot for much of the second half which started with Reach firing just over from outside the penalty area. Despite being on top for the majority of the second period Wednesday were left frustrated by the resolute 5-man backline that the visitors adopted and the Owls were clearly missing the focal point of Steven Fletcher in attack as he sat out his 3rd game in a row due to illness.
Cardiff were lucky not to go down to 10 men in the closing stages when a poor late tackle by Hoilett left Palmer unable to continue. Substitute Nuhiu shot wide in injury time to leave the Owls with their second defeat of the festive period.
Having climbed up to 3rd place in the Championship going into Christmas the two defeats see Wednesday sitting in 6th place in the ever competitive division. Next up is a home game against Hull City on New Years Day.